Pineapple Core = Bromelain
Bromelain = Natural Muscle Relaxer (highly recommended post-surgery)
As you know, the pineapple core is really fibrous and chewy. Not so great for a snack, but it blends up really well in a smoothie. Whenever I snack on a pineapple I always save my cores by just throwing them in a baggie to store in the freezer.
Other benefits of this smoothie include:
- Almonds deliver some much needed protein to balance out all that fruit sugar and give us the energy we need to kick this day in the behind.
- Hemp seeds supply us with a healthy dose of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which are essential for proper cardiovascular health. 90% of women have a risk factor for cardiovascular disease or stroke. Being proactive helps!!!
- Pomegranate juice is going to deliver a one two punch to cardiovascular issues, because it helps increase blood circulation. This is helpful for reducing the risk of heart attacks.
- Blueberries are really high in fiber, which is great for managing diabetes. High fiber foods naturally lower cholesterol, also making this even more of a heart friendly treat!
- Bananas are rich in potassium. Potassium helps lower blood pressure. That’s good news for your heart as well!
I might have to rename this smoothie something like the Bodyguard or the Heartguard. Seems like calling it the muscle relaxer doesn’t even tell half the story!
yield: 1 pint
1/2 banana (just stick the other half in the freezer for tomorrow)
1 cup pomegranate juice
2 tbs slivered almonds
1/4 cup blueberries (frozen)
1/4 cup pineapple core (frozen)
1 tsp hemp seeds
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. I usually blend on high in my vitamix for no less than a minute.